If you’ve been hanging around here for anything length of time, you know that:
- I abide by #NoFoodRules.
- I abide by the “3S Rule: Simple + Satisfying = Sustainable.”
- I eat only foods that I love AND that love me back.
- #onebowlmeal is bomb. (more on this in a second)
I get so many questions from busy readers – young professionals, moms, students – trying to hone in on their nutrition in an effort to feel good and look good, yes, but who still want a life beyond eating and exercise. Welcome to my world, where I want all of those things, too! But, with a full-time job, an online-business and freelance work, I *choose* not to spend hours in the gym or slave away in the kitchen prepping extravagant meals (because, priorities).
Enter: onebowlmeal, n.: a conglomerate of nutrient density comprised of protein, veggies, healthy fats and/or starchy [real food] carbs that considers the metabolic tendencies, personal preferences and psychological sensitivities of the consumer.
It’s my absolute fave, it’s versatile and can be thrown together in a pinch. Zero rules.
Grab a giant bowl, and let’s get started!
[NOTE: I’ve included examples of a few of my personal faves, some of which I am not eating now due to some recently discovered food sensitivities. Eat what YOU love! #doyou #betruetoyou]
- Build a base.
- E.g. kale, cabbage, broccoli slaw, spaghetti squash, kelp noodles
- Power up with protein.
- E.g. chicken breast, grass-fed beef, bison, ground turkey/chicken and wild salmon (fresh, canned or smoked)
- Add bulk with veggies.
- E.g. arugula, spinach, asparagus, carrots, onions, green onion, shallot, leeks, mushrooms, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower or bell peppers, pea shoots, bok choy, snap peas, cucumber, celery
- Add healthy fats for satisfaction.
- Add starchier carbs if post-workout, end of day or highly active.
- E.g. sweet potatoes, plantains, butternut squash
- Add flavor/misc.
- E.g. Pink Himalayan salt, black pepper, spices (love cinnamon, turmeric & ginger), fresh and dried herbs (cilantro, basil, parsley, rosemary), garlic (try it roasted!), lemon, lime, sundried tomato, coconut aminos, sriracha, low sodium salsa and nutritional yeast. In the colder months, I also love adding my protein and veggies to a big bowl of bone broth.
Add all ingredients to bowl and toss. That’s it!*
*If you’re packing a #onebowlmeal for on-the-go, consider packing fats/dressing separately to avoid what you’d intended to be a crunchy bowl from turning to mush 😉
A few ideas…
- Breakfast bowl (aka #breakfastsalad)
- “Fiesta Bowl” is one of my go-to’s – ground turkey or chicken with sautéed peppers and onions; add salsa or a dippy egg.
- Pseudo pasta bowl (spaghetti squash or kelp noodle base)
- Sushi-unroll bowl
- Paleo pad thai
- Coconut curry
Fave #onebowlmeal combinations? Let me know on my Facebook page, or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @emilynminer so that I can see what #eatnourishthrive means to you (don’t forget the hashtag- love it, use it, share it)!