In case you haven’t heard, this little lion just recently joined the fam:
World, meet Deacon!
Since adopting the little, I mean giant lab mix last month, I have taken a liking to spoiling him in every way possible. Yes, I am that girl and her dog that I swore I’d never become. #sorrynotsorry While he sure loves his treats, what his mama does not love is what is far too often the lack of disclosure on nutrition labels, also weird ingredients, for food our four-legged friends. #JERF And so, I DIY. He gets his kibble (we love Fromm; puppy formula, currently), but I do supplement with dog-safe, human food. Currently working on a few different even healthier recipes to find what he likes best, but so far my mom’s are his fave. From our kitchen to yours… bone appetit!
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter (I buy unsalted & unsweetened; just peanuts. Or, make your own.)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup water
- Add dry ingredients to large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry mixture. Mix well.
- Roll out mixture with a rolling pin, then use a cookie cutter. If you’re short on time, feeling lazy or don’t have a cutter, roll mixture into treat-sized balls then flatten. Arrange cookies on baking sheet. *QUICK TIP: Parchment makes for quick & easy clean-up.
- Bake at 325F x 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- Store in airtight container.
- Hope Fido enjoys!
Show me your pup! And if you try these, let us know what you think. Snap a pic and tag us in your cookie creations on Instagram (@emilynminer) or post to my Facebook page. What do you feed your pet – kibble, human food or some combination thereof? Let us know!