When it comes to sweet n’ salty, I could pass on the former any day and usually opt instead for selections of the salty and/or crunchy varieties. But every once in a blue moon, the sweet tooth strikes. And when it does, I typically satisfy it with #dessertdefense since I know that fighting it will only lead to way worse cravings later. A few things. First, protein bars being the exception, I really don’t do the artificial crap. Cool if you do, but it’s just not me. I prefer real, whole foods any day, even if it means a little more fat (and flavor, btw). It keeps my hunger and energy balanced, cravings at bay, skin clearer and doesn’t plague me with headaches – I’m talkin’ to you aspartame! Do I use alternative sweeteners in #moderation? Sure. But I choose more natural sweeteners (e.g. stevia, Truvia, erythritol, xylitol) that do not raise blood sugar when consumed (as opposed to the huge insulin response we see with carbohydrate aka sugar), and behave much like fiber in the digestive tract. If you’re loading up “single serve” desserts with so much crap, might as well just have the real thing, no? Second, I hate recipes that have obscure ingredients, or things you have to chase all around town for. As it is, I already hit up three stores to complete my weekly haul. If it uses pantry staples, it’s a win in my book. Without further adieu…
Single-Serve #FitFoodie Chocolate Cake
- 1 scoop protein powder (I used Quest Nutrition Vanilla; chocolate could work, too)
- 2 tablespoons cacao (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4-1/3 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stevia, to taste (I didn’t use any, but since the recipe doesn’t call for egg you can taste the “batter” before you “cook”)
- Mix all ingredients in mug or ramekin.
- Microwave ~35 seconds.
- Garnish with optional toppings of choice, grab a spoon and enjoy! *NOTE: Garnish is not synonymous with ingredient. Practice mindfulness. 🙂 I used NuttZo (because, chocolate and nut butter #EatNuttZo), but here are a few more ideas:
– Peanut flour, or PB2 mixed with unsweetened almond milk
– Protein frosting (i.e. protein powder mixed with water or unsweetened almond milk)
– A scoop of Arctic Zero
– A sprinkle of frozen raspberries
– A sprinkle of unsweetened shredded coconut (this would probably also be delicious mixed in, sub the vanilla extract for almond extract and you may just have an Almond Joy explosion on your hands!)